Ravenstorm

news UPDATE: Steam will NOT Ban Games They Deem Too Sexual

I knew it would happen eventually, Steam has gone full auto on all those anime visual novels we keep seeing pop up lately.

Please login or register to see this link.

Update: Steam will not regulate games at all, and will only remove ones that are deemed "illegal" or in the realm of "trolling".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

H5f4c5mh.jpg

But... Huniepop is played for the plot!!

In all seriousness though, I think they're going a bit too far. Like it's not like the games being targeted are like Prison Battleship, where it's all about the sex.

I don't know about Huniepop, but doesn't Valve know that with VNs, you're more than lucky if you get to see a pair of titties after 5 hours? We remove sexual content for the kids. And what kid is gonna have the patience to play a game for 5 hours just to see some anime titties? These games are made for the story, the only people that download them are those who want to enjoy said story.

In addition, while some argue that there are always other online shops, I believe that nothing beats Steam in terms of exposure, prices, and discounts. So this is a huge blow for the smaller developers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, and a lot of people are calling double standards too, since games like Witcher 3 and GTA 5 are seeming immune to all this. I don't see a reason for Valve to suddenly be coming down on these games. They've been out for years and have developed fan bases. Seems very indecisive on their part.

What's worse, is that these small devs are gonna get hit even harder by piracy for the "full" versions. People that would  have paid in the first place won't settle of a censored version. I'm pretty sure that most fans don't want to hurt the independent devs, but if Valve leaves them no real alternative, then...

Maybe some angry parents got together when they saw "omg attractive cartoons!" on they teen's monitor and came after Valve? I don't know any details. I've heard that Discord is cracking down more and more lately as well.

• Upvote 2

I recall Mafia III had playboy mags to collect in game. them 50+ year ago tiddies are okay but some drawn ones arent. Its a shame steam had a narrow mind to this genre. 

• Upvote 1

Double standards right here.

I must 100% agree with Bakura on this, the main group of people buying VNs are the ones that want the story and not just a pair of 2D Tiddies.

For that i could just go to ex-hen... ahhh you know the internet :lewd:

I mean of course a bit of some sweet 2D thiccness is always welcome but that isn't the main part why these games are bought like said above. But it looks like Valve thinks it is the only reason. Leads us to the double standards debate why games like GTA 5 or Witcher 3 or Postal 2 can get away with stuff like that but not some innocent Waifus :aquacry:

The only reason we even have these nice VNs in English now is because of Steam and Valve. Let's be honest how many of you have played VNs before they became kinda "mainstream" via Steam? Not so many i guess which shows us that smaller Devs got the chance to promote their stuff to a wider audience.

But what's SUPER BULLSHIT about this is that NO VN that i bought (so far) even had the +18 content unlocked via Steam. You either have to crack  or legit buy the +18 patch archive on the DEVs website for some $$$ to get the sweet naked Waifus 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

steam needs to watch some slice of life anime to understand how vn have been a niche in gaming that holds its audience well. Most of the images that are questionable are static most of the time. Someone should tell them to pick up a hooker in gta5 and ask why its not out right banned. It pisses me off how many parents I know who let their kids play that game.  I've told a few to imdb the game and look at the parental guide for it. 

Looks like Valve backed off entirely, and will instead give people more options to block out what they don't want to see. Sounds like a fair deal to me! The only games that will be banned are "illegal" games, trolling, and probably copyright violating submissions.

• Upvote 3

Great news! Glad Valve worked this one out.

That way if we hear someone complaining it would be their fault for looking at things they don't want to see.

• Like 2

they should ban bad games though, or at least those that are puzzles with 3000 achievements or so. so much bait

• Like 1

Doesn't matter to them, they get the developer fee regardless. I think it would be too hard to regulate good and bad. Best to let the income speak for itself, yea? Thanks to moneyback option it's pretty much foolproof in my opinion.

• Upvote 1