Ravenstorm

news UPDATE: Steam will NOT Ban Games They Deem Too Sexual

I knew it would happen eventually, Steam has gone full auto on all those anime visual novels we keep seeing pop up lately.

Please login or register to see this link.

Update: Steam will not regulate games at all, and will only remove ones that are deemed "illegal" or in the realm of "trolling".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

H5f4c5mh.jpg

But... Huniepop is played for the plot!!

In all seriousness though, I think they're going a bit too far. Like it's not like the games being targeted are like Prison Battleship, where it's all about the sex.

I don't know about Huniepop, but doesn't Valve know that with VNs, you're more than lucky if you get to see a pair of titties after 5 hours? We remove sexual content for the kids. And what kid is gonna have the patience to play a game for 5 hours just to see some anime titties? These games are made for the story, the only people that download them are those who want to enjoy said story.

In addition, while some argue that there are always other online shops, I believe that nothing beats Steam in terms of exposure, prices, and discounts. So this is a huge blow for the smaller developers.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, and a lot of people are calling double standards too, since games like Witcher 3 and GTA 5 are seeming immune to all this. I don't see a reason for Valve to suddenly be coming down on these games. They've been out for years and have developed fan bases. Seems very indecisive on their part.

What's worse, is that these small devs are gonna get hit even harder by piracy for the "full" versions. People that would  have paid in the first place won't settle of a censored version. I'm pretty sure that most fans don't want to hurt the independent devs, but if Valve leaves them no real alternative, then...

Maybe some angry parents got together when they saw "omg attractive cartoons!" on they teen's monitor and came after Valve? I don't know any details. I've heard that Discord is cracking down more and more lately as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I recall Mafia III had playboy mags to collect in game. them 50+ year ago tiddies are okay but some drawn ones arent. Its a shame steam had a narrow mind to this genre. 

• Upvote 1

Double standards right here.

I must 100% agree with Bakura on this, the main group of people buying VNs are the ones that want the story and not just a pair of 2D Tiddies.

For that i could just go to ex-hen... ahhh you know the internet :lewd:

I mean of course a bit of some sweet 2D thiccness is always welcome but that isn't the main part why these games are bought like said above. But it looks like Valve thinks it is the only reason. Leads us to the double standards debate why games like GTA 5 or Witcher 3 or Postal 2 can get away with stuff like that but not some innocent Waifus :aquacry:

The only reason we even have these nice VNs in English now is because of Steam and Valve. Let's be honest how many of you have played VNs before they became kinda "mainstream" via Steam? Not so many i guess which shows us that smaller Devs got the chance to promote their stuff to a wider audience.

But what's SUPER BULLSHIT about this is that NO VN that i bought (so far) even had the +18 content unlocked via Steam. You either have to crack  or legit buy the +18 patch archive on the DEVs website for some $$$ to get the sweet naked Waifus 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

steam needs to watch some slice of life anime to understand how vn have been a niche in gaming that holds its audience well. Most of the images that are questionable are static most of the time. Someone should tell them to pick up a hooker in gta5 and ask why its not out right banned. It pisses me off how many parents I know who let their kids play that game.  I've told a few to imdb the game and look at the parental guide for it. 

Looks like Valve backed off entirely, and will instead give people more options to block out what they don't want to see. Sounds like a fair deal to me! The only games that will be banned are "illegal" games, trolling, and probably copyright violating submissions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Great news! Glad Valve worked this one out.

That way if we hear someone complaining it would be their fault for looking at things they don't want to see.

• Like 3

Doesn't matter to them, they get the developer fee regardless. I think it would be too hard to regulate good and bad. Best to let the income speak for itself, yea? Thanks to moneyback option it's pretty much foolproof in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Chicken Strips
      As so often happens, it seems there were minor regional differences between the Nintendo Direct broadcasts for the east and west. Japanese fans were treated to games missing from the North American and European versions.
      First up is Dragon Quest Rivals, a free download first released on mobile back in 2017. It's an online card-based battler in the Hearthstone mould with characters from across the RPG series and cross-play between Switch and mobile.

Next is a cutesy baseball game from Konami, Jikkyuu Powerful Pro Baseball, launching this year. Part of a long-running series, it's arguably most notable for being from Konami - they still make games, see! - but we're not the biggest baseball fans. Four-player co-op sounds interesting, though, if you like a spot of rounders.

Finally we have a crossover, Doraemon: Nobita’s Story of Seasons, and we're a bit jealous. It appears to mix classic Harvest Moon-style gameplay with the cast of Doraemon in a beautiful watercolour world. Check out the trailer:
      Looks lovely, no? Hopefully we'll get some information about a western release soon
    • By Chicken Strips
      Ubisoft has confirmed the release date for Assassin’s Creed III Remastered on Nintendo Switch.
      The newly remastered threequel will launch for the hybrid console on May 21st.
      The game includes all prior DLC, Assassin’s Creed Liberation, and features Motion Aiming and touch input.
      Curiously, prior announcements of the game stated it would be launching on May 29th. We will keep you updated if other versions of the game have also had their release date moved forward.

• By Chicken Strips
      LO ANGELES, CA – Crowds gathered outside of the Los Angeles Supreme store earlier this afternoon in anticipation for the skateboarding and streetwear brand’s latest release in collaboration with anime series Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid. The collaboration features a limited run of various clothing and accessories incorporating Dragon Maid characters with the iconic Supreme box logo.
      Fans began lining up hours in advance in hopes of being among the first to partake in the launch. Unlike previous releases, the launch not only attracted the usual crowd of brand enthusiasts but fans of the Dragon Maid anime as well. Supreme collectors and so called “hypebeasts” found themselves beaten to the punch as anime fans began lining up hours before others had even arrived.
      “I’ve been to Anime Expo before so it’s actually quite a relief to only have to wait for 12 hours before getting the opportunity to buy some merch,” stated anime fan Brian Denmond who had been in line since the night before. “Normally you have to line up for a badge before you can even begin to queue for the merchant hall.”
      “I’m not sure what this Supreme thing is but once I heard from my Discord group that there were going to be Kanna shirts I knew I had to get down here,” another young man near the beginning of the line told our correspondent.
      Others in line did not provide such positive feedback, feeling cheated by the sudden influx of anime fans that had taken over the front portion of the line.
      “This is total bull,” said Nathan Dallas dressed in the finest name brands his parents’ money could buy. “I’m always here for the latest drop, but at this rate those damn weebs are going to grab all the good shit before I even get up there.”
      When the door finally opened, all merchandise was reportedly sold out within 15 minutes. Those who had been lucky enough to make a purchase were last seen heading towards the Los Angeles Convention Center to begin saving their spot for Anime Expo.

• By Chicken Strips
      Nintendo and Marvelous have announced a western release for Rune Factory 4 Special for the Switch.
      The upgraded port of the classic fantasy RPG will launch for the hybrid console sometime this year
    • By Chicken Strips
      Mass entertainment company Disney made an informal industry announcement yesterday that it had begun plans to produce a series of live action adaptations of classic Studio Ghibli films. With live action versions of Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King already scheduled for release in just 2019 alone, Disney stated it had started to look into other properties to also give the live action treatment. Disney is already known to have been a major distributor of Studio Ghibli movies throughout North America so the move was seen as the next logical step for the company as is begins to run out of movies of its own to convert.
      No official statement was given as to which Ghibli films were being considered for a live action remake although rumors pointed to Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, and My Neighbor Totoro as likely candidates. Disney did state that the release would feature “major Hollywood talent” with insider leaks revealing that Will Smith had already been contacted for a potential role. Major director talent from industry veterans James Cameron and Tim Burton was also rumored to be on the table.
      Disney assured fans that the completely necessary live action films would still follow the original stories of the Ghibli films with additional alterations only to “modernize” and “broaden the appeal” of the movies – something which definitely hasn’t had a history of diminishing the original tone in other adaptations. The colorful imaginative worlds of Miyazaki’s original works would also certainly not be lost in the conversion to the gritty realism of modern computer generated graphics.
      No set release dates have been announced so far, although most expect the first of the live action Ghibli films to arrive sometime in 2020. Not to be outdone, production company Legendary Entertainment also announced that it had begun preliminary production on a live action Beyblade film. Legendary’s movie is set to be directed by Micheal Bay and will feature a team of young heroes who battle hyper realistic robotic spinning weapons against each other.