NextGenRoms

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi guys

But ....where did you guys even find the game at? Has it been posted here somewhere? i did use the search tool here but couldnt find it anywhere..

I remember seeing it  on nico but it was put on that popcorn file hosting  where i cannot open the link for some reason...I thought it was my adblock but even disabling it didnt do.

thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe I have a better fix than the OP.  I was able to disassemble the eboot and know my way around enough to make a patch.  Currently my fix is to force the doors to remain open during the serris battle.  Another option I have is to prevent serris battle from starting at all. I have not completed the game after this yet to see if there are any regressions introduced by my patch.

If you are interested I can send you the patched eboot to replace in game folder. 

I am exploring options to restore the serris fight rather than use a simple hack to skip it but obviously this is much more difficult.

Ok, I have uploaded to mediafire: 

This is the hidden content, please

Instructions:

1) In zip file you see two eboots, one with serris gone and one with only door open.  It is up to you which you prefer, or try both.  Remove (backup) your old eboot.bin in ux0:app/AMTR01693/ folder and copy one of the patched eboots here and rename it to 'eboot.bin'.  

2) "Serris gone" means that serris will be gone from the room and (mostly) removed from the game and this is the smoothest experience as you don't have to see some buggy head moving around and have the music change.  However, I have not updated the progress % or removed its entry in the start menu logs, so you will always have a missing piece there. 

3) If that bothers you, you can use just "doors open" eboot, which is like what we have with the previous fix in the OP, only you don't have to bug through the door with some exploit as the door is now open and you can just leave.  Luckily as soon as you see Serris the game considers the boss to be defeated in the progress struct.  The bad part of this hack is that the music changes and to restore to regular music you must save and reload (or initiate any other music change).

What I have done to force doors to remain open is instead of checking if you have ice beam, the game checks if you have super missile pack from some area later in the game (I think it's the last super missile you can obtain).  You should not have this item yet unless you sequence break.  If I'm wrong about this let me know I can change the method but I think this works.  If you use "serris gone" patch and collect that super missile and come back to serris room later, you will get stuck.  But maybe you want this option, as I could fix Serris fight later on and you can enter room and fight him for some closure. If you use "doors open" patch, serris is considered defeated after first time you see him so you will never have to worry about getting stuck (again, unless you have sequence breaked somehow and collected that super missile before getting ice beam).

tldr: doors open is probably the safer patch, serris gone is smoother experience but has potential to lock up later if you reenter the room

4) Please backup your save if you are concerned about anything.  To do this you must save entire folder ux0:/user/00/savedata/AMTR01693

Please test it and let me know if it works for you.  It has worked for me so far but like I said I haven't done a full play through of the game with my hack yet.  I am only releasing this as a quick fix for now, I will try to make a more official release later with less 'gotchas'.

One more thing, you may notice a welcome change in the title intro. :)  .  If you wish to replace the word "Monster"  and "Sarah" with proper names, you can simply edit the text file ux0:/app/AMTR01693/games/lang/english.ini

Now onto my future plans, which is have proper Serris fight.  The biggest issue is I do not know why Serris is bugged the way he is.  The head is drawn, the body parts are not.  This must somehow be related to him not re-entering the room after leaving it.  It also makes him invulnerable.  It will take me some time to find source of the bug.  I have the game source code from yal's github, and I have the ARM assembly.  I can match them up fairly well already, I know where each function in the game code translates to the eboot. 

I do not fully understand ARM assembly yet, or GMS coding, but I have learned a lot already and I will continue to learn.  My only method of debugging is to patch the game in a function somewhere, perhaps put in an invalid pointer, and I will know if the code is being used if the game crashes lol.  -Edit:  Actually I think I can debug by writing a value to memory somewhere and using gohanmem to read that value, fist time doing something like this.-  My hope is that there is a simple bug somewhere and when fixed everything will work as intended, one or two lines.  If it is more than this, I may never be able to fully fix it as I am just working on this in spare time.  At the least, I will try to put together a version "1.02 vita" vpk with a more polished fix.  Unfortunately, because of my limited debugging ability I also can not fix the random crashes as the cause is completely unknown to me.

Update 10/23/18:  I think I can debug much better now.  I got vitacheat to work with am2r (you have to edit param.sfo to make the game titleid start with PC for vitacheat to hook it).  Presumably now I can write debug code to some unused portion of memory and read that in game at any time.  There are some pointers passed between functions that point to pieces of executable code that I have not been able to track down and now I should be able to.

Update 11/5/18:  I have made some minor progress, but not much.  Figured out how to transfer my encrypted save data from my old titleid to the new one so I can now enter serris room with vitacheat so I am ready to start debugging.  I am making this update to say that there are a few people working on getting the actual latest AM2R version to run on vita using idumpvitastuff's tool for creating vita ports of game maker projects.  This is the ideal solution and should be easier than me reversing the binary, especially if they can get vita YYC to work.  See:

and 

Edited by Kalessian
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Holy crap, talk about playing this game at the perfect time. Thanks for the fix, dude. I figured this was a dead and buried thread, and to see you made this fix available literally 4 days ago, just as I hit this snag today, not knowing its been a long running issue? Wow. 

Anyway, since its so recent, and you did all this awesome work, I can say that it worked great for me. I did the open door eboot and I was able to bypass the bossfight no problem. Way to go dude! If only there was a way to cut down on the random as hell crashes that force the game to close, but thats a whole different issue.

8 hours ago, throwaways1291 said:

Holy crap, talk about playing this game at the perfect time. Thanks for the fix, dude. I figured this was a dead and buried thread, and to see you made this fix available literally 4 days ago, just as I hit this snag today, not knowing its been a long running issue? Wow. 

Anyway, since its so recent, and you did all this awesome work, I can say that it worked great for me. I did the open door eboot and I was able to bypass the bossfight no problem. Way to go dude! If only there was a way to cut down on the random as hell crashes that force the game to close, but thats a whole different issue.

That's why I released simple patch quickly.  I assume there's a group of people like me that bought vita during summer due to last chance to buy them and the latest firmware hacks released earlier this year.  There's possibly a wave of am2r players in the past few months.  I know there's a newer better version for android phones but I don't like playing games on my phone.

After (if) I fix Serris fight I may look into the random crashes.  My only thoughts at this time are it's a race condition somewhere or a memory leak.  Either of those would be hard to fix.  I have noticed it happens a lot when using speed booster and going from one room to another.  I think this will require me to find better debugging tools, which may yet happen as I'm still learning.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you Kalessian for making this patch!!! I got stuck on this fight 2 days ago and I was so frustrated! I just got the game patched and I've edited the english.ini file to have Sarah replaced by Samus and Monster replaced by Metroid. My modest contribution is this text file already updated for you: https://www.mediafire.com/file/r4lz54e08914dsd/english.ini/file

As indicated by Kalessian previously, just replace the file in ux0:/app/AMTR01693/games/lang/ by this one.

Once more, big thanks Kalessian!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you could use it.  I was hoping the am2r devs would be able to port the newest versions properly, but it seems they have run into some road blocks and no one is willing to put in the work (which may be a lot).  Maybe I will finish my serris fix and then attempt to port the newer versions.  I haven't been working on it because I thought said port was going to be released and also because I was recently promoted at work and have had less time.

• 1 year later...

Hi, i know this thread is old but i just started to play am2r on the vita and man i love this one. Now i am stuck at serris not wanting to fight with me. ... i tried the savegames where some of you reported that they are working but the only thing i get is "corrupted data",.. i stored them on the right place tried it extracted or via zip/rar on the psp.. same result). .. do you have any tips for me ? i have the 1.0 verion of am2r for vita

thanks !!!

Update: i found the solution, i had to completely remove am2r and reinstall it, after this i could use the savegame,.. THANKS !!

Edited by nad_22

• 4 months later...